Super Simple Trick Training Treat

These are Trigger’s second favorite trick training treat. They are soft and just a little bit sweet. I make them out of human grade ingredients and snack on them when we are training :-)

Oat & Apple Chews

Ingredients:

• 1 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • ½ cup flour

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C).

Grease a 9 inch by 9 inch (22cm x 22cm) glass pan or baking tray.

Mix all the ingredients until the applesauce is evenly distributed, then spread the mixture evenly in the pan.

Bake for 30 minutes or until the batter firms and browns.

Allow the mixture to cool for 5 to 10 minutes and then cut it into squares.  Or wait till the mixture cools completely and you can cut it into tiny squares with kitchen scissors.

Put the squares in an airtight container for storage.

Sign Up for FREE Trick Training Tips & Ideas

100% horse friendly training

Trigger & I will never share your details. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Comments

1. Robynne Catheron says

These look yummy, and low sugar – yay! I’m always looking for healthy homemade treats, thank you! But what are the little orange bits in the treats in the photo?

• admin says

Whoops! The picture was for ‘Carrot Chews’. (I’ve changed it now). There is an eBook with lots of other healthy, simple treat ideas available from our Shop. Enjoy! :-) Jain & Trigger.

2. Gwen says

Love the training tips and I make my own horse treats with all natural products already from my own recipes but love this one!! Going to try it and see how my horses react to it 😉 They are real molasses lovers lol

• Horse Tricks 101 says

Hi Gwen. Good to hear you make your treats out of natural products. Much healthier for your horses :-)

Trigger LOVES ones with molasses in them but it’s very hot here now (summer) and the molasses treats tend to go all sticky in my treat pouch at this time of year. I have to use these simple apples treats, another version I make with shredded carrot and just plain carrots.

Jain.

3. says

Thank you for sharing. The people at the barn where I board look at me like I have three heads when I talk organic. I have a 28 year old Arab mare named Crystal and she still likes to go down the trail. Could be because for the last 8 years that I’ve had her (I’ve had her for 15 years now) I’ve been feeding her as natural as I can. No processed feed. Just grass hay, grass pellets and some vitamins that I put together.
    These treats look like she will love them Thank you. Nancy

4. Haley says

Just wondering.. Do they need to be refrigerated or can they just be kept out in ac?? Also how long do they last:)

• Horse Tricks 101 says

Hi Haley,

They will only last about a week if you keep them out. I like to store them in an air-tight container in the fridge and then they last for a few weeks :)

Jain.